Thursday, September 22, 2011

Easy Home Made Chalkboard Sign



I love all the home made chalkboards I've seen in blogs and Pinterest.  

I thought I would give it a try and make my own.  

Last year I bought some Chalkboard paint in black.  

The project stalled until one day I thought about my wooden Merry Christmas sign.  The back side is blank.  I could use the blank side all year as a chalkboard and turn it around for Christmas. 

So I finally gathered up my supplies...the Merry Christmas sign, chalkboard black paint, scissors, painter's blue tape and a paper bag. 



I had left over paint samples from Benjamin Moore in a light shade so I used that for my primer on the back of the Merry Christmas sign.  My Hubby came up and saw I was painting on our kitchen island and said I wouldn't let him do that...and he was right...I wouldn't.  



I sprayed the chalkboard black paint outdoors...two coats...letting each coat dry over night.

This is the first saying I used on my new Chalkboard sign.

Right now the sign is just balanced on my stove.  I may use the removable Command 3M strips to hold it up on the tile wall so I don't have to worry about it falling down.


I changed it to this saying today.  

I use the chalk ink pens in white.

The only negative so far is the chalk ink doesn't completely erase...you can very faintly see the previous writing.   I guess I can live with that.    

A great place to find good sayings is on Pinterest.

Hope I've inspired you to try making your own chalkboard.

It was fun and easy.

I think for my next one I will use another chalkboard color paint....maybe light blue.



Please join me for:
Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday                                
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
          Wendy at The Shabby Nest for Frugal Friday
Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

Cielo at The House in the Roses for Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Blog Hop 



4 comments:

  1. Sandy your signs are a great idea, I love them and nice work you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, I love it! Now you have two great signs for the 'price' of one!! You did a great job. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love what you did with the sign and I love that quote, so true.;))
    Happy Fall dear Sandy.;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 'Eat, Drink, and Be Merry' sign. Those turned out wonderful. My daughter, Jess, just made a chalkboard sign, and she had alot of fun with the project. Have a lovely weekend,
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete