Friday, January 18, 2013

Vintage V-Stitch Crocheted Blanklet

Remember this Black and White beauty from Pinterest?

Source:  Pinterest

I ordered this downloadable $5 pattern from ChurchMouse Yarns & Teas (located in the state of Washington).

 It's a ripple pattern using V-Stitchs and Double Vs. 

 I know from experience that I have to read any ripple pattern over and over again and I have also found that drawing a stitch diagram of the repeat (pattern didn't come with one) helps me tremendously. 

 I'm a visual person. 

 I'm not a crochet designer and hand drawing a crochet pattern diagram isn't easy for me.

I would love to have a computer software program I could use to do diagrams. 

 Years ago I did some internet research to see if there was any software program out there dedicated specifically to making crochet diagrams that was easy to use and not expensive.  

I didn't find anything then.

But I googled again today and was surprised because I found something interesting called StitchWork Software (see video below) that I will have to check it out in more detail later (i.e., cost and if it works on a MAC).




Anyways I drew up scribbled a hand drawn diagram to follow.  

And believe me it's easier to read that those scribbles then to try to read the typed pattern.

Because I always lose my place when reading them.   

   

I won't go into how many foundation chains and first row trys I had to do.  

It was MANY!

You have to get that first row right because everything depends on it being correct.

So I practiced and practiced.

Went to bed dreaming having nightmares about this crochet pattern.  


Oh, I even googled "vintage V-Stitch afghans" and found a similar free pattern (here) based upon the V-Stitch and Shell combination - and it was pretty.   But the mountains and valleys were steeper than I wanted.  I played around with this pattern, trying it out and decided it wasn't the same as the one I ordered.

I also found a similar ripple diagram for reference (here).

The point is... don't forget to check out the internet - there is a wealth of information out there to help us crocheters out.

If you don't know how to do a V-Stitch there are videos on YouTube to watch.



Once I figured out the repeat pattern and how I wanted to start and end the row - as a straight edge - it went pretty smoothly.  

I used a foundation chain of 160 as suggested.   That sounds like a large afghan but it's a ripple and comes out smaller then a straight across afghan would for that many chains. 

So this is baby size blankie.

The second row is a little tricky but I finally determined stared at the photo over and over until the light bulb clicked where to put the hook in what spaces.

Now I can say it's an easy repeat in many ways, easy on my hands to crochet, easy to follow, easy to see if you make a mistake.  Yes, I admit every once in a while I'll miss making a V-Stitch and do a double crochet in error.   Now I've learned to look back at my repeats before I leave that row. 

Because you "turn" at every row the pattern is the same look on either side.  

And just with the practice sessions and a few rows done I have the repeat memorized.

The pattern gives instructions to make as a 2-color, 5-color and a 10-color version.

I know I will have to do a full blown color version!   

So what do you think of this ripple pattern?  

Do you love it or not?  


10 comments:

  1. Wow I so know what you mean those first few rows are a bit of a pain...Looks great. Love the black and white

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! I love it! Its so beautiful, imagine a rainbow coloured one too?? Brilliant, well done! :)

    Jerra xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy,
    I'm visiting from Pink Saturday. I love your banner, it's so pretty. Do you have an Etsy shop? Love your crochet work!
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy,
      Thanks for visiting me! I had fun making the Valentine Blog Header (tutorial links provided). I'm tickled PINK you like my crochet but I don't have an Etsy shop. I crochet for fun - if I had a shop I think it would be too stressful and like "working" again with deadlines. Plus I'm a slow crocheter. As much as I enjoy crocheting I do have other interests. My Mom's name was Dorothy (and she pronounced the second "o"). Have a lovely day!
      Sandy

      Delete
  4. See, Sandy. Dorothy wants you to have a shop, too. ;-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it will look spectacular.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandy,
    I finished my foundation row but am having troubles with row two....Apple Blossom Dreams blog, which colors I am doing, sent me to you thinking you might have the diagram.....didn't see it! I will keep trying!My email is gracewarejewelry@gmail.com. thank you, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have your diagram for this pattern. I bought the Churchmouse pattern...but you are right it is so difficult to read! I'm fairly new to crochet, but get the lingo however I am stumped on this pattern! Help!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stephanie,
    You didn't leave your email address so I have to reply here. There is a tutorial by another crocheter that you may find helpful: http://eljardindemisecreto.blogspot.com.es/2012/08/vintage-ripple.html

    I added a photo of my hand-written diagram in Ravelry here: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Teacuplane/vintage-crocheted-blanket-2

    It's not a difficult pattern once you get the hang of it. But I find that with all ripples. In fact the first baby throw (Blackie the Blankie) I tried in this pattern I stitched it wrong but it still turned out pretty and I liked my modified stitch: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Teacuplane/vintage-crocheted-blanket

    Hope this helps you out.

    Happy New Year 2014!



    ReplyDelete
  9. I really can't figure out how the 2nd round goes on... pity tha eljardindemisecreto doesn't have photos anymore ! ! :(

    ReplyDelete