Sunday, August 17, 2014

Breezy Begonia Lap Throw

Working on the squares…need 36 of them!

Sorry I've been away for so long.

Lots of good stuff going on here that I will announce later.  

But while away I have been crocheting this lovely lap throw, "Breezy Begonia". 

Showing off the continuous "Three Chain Flat Braid" join.

I was inspired by a throw I saw on the Internet incorporating two shades of a color...one dark and one light.  

Unfortunately I don't remember where I saw my inspiration to give credit where it is due. 


Love the tightness of the four corner join!

I used Caron Simply Soft yarn in two colors...blue mint (turquoise), the "dark"shade, and soft blue, the "light"shade. 

 The square design is #38, "Begonia" from Jan Eaton's book "200 Crochet Blocks".

A simple edging this time!
I tried a new continuous method of joining…"Three-Chain Flat Braid" in off-white yarn.  

Here's the pattern link (here) and an excellent video of a 5 chain flat braid (here).  

It took a few starts for me and some frogging until I figured out how to work the continuous method around the squares in the correct order.  

I love how the corner join doesn't have open spaces.  

Six rows by six rows.

The edging is from Edie Eckman's "Crochet Borders" #38.

It has three rounds but I only crocheted the first two.  

"Breezy Begonia"!

What do you think!

Embroidering the label.

And, of course, I "had to" embroider a label for the lap throw.

Starting on "Berry Begonia"!

I love this throw so much I decided to crochet another one for my sister-in-law in two shades of purple.

I know the stitches by heart now.  

LOL!

9 comments:

  1. Lovey. The use of the two colours is very effective and I love the new joining system. you'll be getting orders for Christmas presents. Exciting times at your house !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helsie! I really liked this joining method. It lies flat too with no ridges. No orders for Christmas..although I have to decide what to crochet for my BUNCO gals for our Christmas BUNCO party. LOL!

      Delete
  2. I really like this. I really like that it is a lap throw. I'm tired of making the big afghans. I think the "lapghans" are perfect for grabbing and cuddling up under. The kitties like them two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "lapghans". Just the right size for my "lap"! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I love it, Sandy. And I love the look of that joining method. I'll have to check it out. I bet your SIL will love her purple one too! I thought of you while I was at the antique store on Friday. I was looking for a pretty tea cup and saucer for myself. I don't have a nice fancy one and wanted to see if I could find one. They did have some pretty ones, but the ones I liked were all $25 and up for just one cup and saucer. Yikes! Surely I will come across better prices somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm running out of room to display teacups and saucers! So, I have to be selective when buying them. I agree with you spending $25 or more one a set is high. You would have to really love it. You should try this flat braid continuous join method. I love the look of it. And it's easy once you figure out the order of joining the squares. I drew a diagram of the order I used and posted it on my revelry project page (mainly in case I forget how I did it). LOL!

      Delete
  4. I love it when you get the pattern down so quickly, and you can just whip up another! Makes it go more quickly, doesn't it. I like the blues...
    Both of my daughters are pregnant right now-- and both have chosen 'mint' green as their primary color- neither of them are having GENDER SONOGRAMS!
    I need to find a blanket that whips up quick and easy-- that I can make for them.
    I spotted a pattern for baby car seat blankets! I'm thinking of make two with slight variations of color.
    I've been busy with other stuff and no time to crochet! February will be here before I know it.
    I like this lap-throw...or as Snap said ^^^ lapghans! cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you repeat the stitches so many times you can't help but have it memorized. The first one was the "learning" one and the second one is going quickly. Just five squares left to crochet and then the joining. Congrats on your expected grandchildren. That is so exciting. I think "mint green" is pretty and would make a lovely crocheted car seat. And yes before we know it winter will be here! Thanks for visiting. I always love reading your blog.

      Delete
  5. Lovely design, the joining and edging really set off the squares. I'm joining some Granny Squares, started doing the JAYG method but don't like how the squares lay so I'm slip stitching as well.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete