Friday, September 5, 2014

Berry Begonia Lap Throw

I loved my "Breezy Begonia" lap throw in shades of turquoise so much I decided to make another one in shades of purple for one of my sister-in-laws.

Purple is her favorite color.

I've named this one "Berry Begonia"!


I used Caron Simply Soft yarns in two shades:  Iris (the dark purple) and Lavender Blue (the light purple) and an H hook.

The motif square is from Jan Eaton's book, "200 Crochet Blocks" - #181 Begonia (page 104).  


Like "Breezy" I use the continuous "Three-Chain Flat Braid" join as you go method to join the squares.

As I mentioned on my "Breezy" posting I really like this method.  It gives a nice firm join at the corners without gaps and holes.  

And continuous means there are only two ends to weave in when finished.

My kind of join method.


At first I was only going to do an edging in the variegated yarn.

It was nice but after staring at it for a few days I decided it needed more.


So I added four more rounds in the Iris (deep purple) single crochet in the spaces, chain three repeated all the way around.


And to finish it off I used the first two rounds of Edie Eckman's #38 edging from her book, "Around The Corner Crochet Borders" in the Lavender Blue yarn.


Off setting the edging with the main two yarn colors really makes the edging POP!

Check out more details on my Ravelry project page for "Breezy" (here) and "Berry" (here).

And my blog posting on "Breezy Begonia" (here).  

Two pretty Begonia throws.

This pattern/design would be pretty using 3 squares by 3 squares for a baby throw.

Think how pretty two shades of pink would look!


I machine embroidered a pretty label for the lap throw and I can't wait to give it to my sister-in-law on our next trip to Ohio.

Have a lovely weekend and thanks for visiting.

3 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job on both blankets, your SIL is going to love this.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this throw, Sandy. The color combo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete